With winter coming you want to be sure that your siding is ready to handle the cold and moisture to keep you dry and warm throughout the season.
Here are some basic things you can do to prepare your home for winter and preserve your investment in your home:
- Replace any dry or cracked caulking to prevent moisture from getting behind your siding
- Clean your gutters to ensure that water is not draining directly down your siding.
- Wash your siding to remove any mildew or dirt to prevent corrosion – check what type of washing (hand versus power) is appropriate for siding type – different types of siding require different cleaning techniques
- touch up any missing paint on wood siding
- Replace any cracked or dented siding
- Trim your trees and shrubs so they don’t touch your siding – Helps prevent damage from branches as well insects who might use your shrubs to infiltrate your siding.
Proper maintenance can not only protect your home water damage and heat loss – it will also extend the life of your investment in your siding.